Commencement

This may not be my first trip to India, but both anxiety and excitement rush over me just thinking about the wonderful journey ahead. The Summer in South Asia Fellowship offers me a unique opportunity to independently engross myself in Indian culture and observe and partake in research from a different point of view. Despite having visited family in India a couple times before, I never had the opportunity to actually engage in the community the way I hope to this summer.

What will it be like living on my own in a huge city like Bangalore and in a foreign country? How is the research environment different in India? It is questions like this that I hope to answer during my time there and on this blog, and that is why I applied to the fellowship. When I heard the news that I was selected, I was ecstatic! Not only would I be able to search for answers to those questions, but I would get to do so along with many others.

In Bangalore, I will be working with inStem, a state-of-the-art research institute dedicated to the study of stem cell and regenerative biology. The research I will be aiding in involves understanding how certain genetic mutations, relatively pervasive in the south Indian population, effect the proper functioning of cardiomyocytes, muscle cells that compose heart tissue. I will be staying on the campus of the National Centre for Biological Sciences, so I may even have the opportunity to explore student life in India!

With that, I better end this blog post and get back to packing–my flight leaves in exactly 12 hours!

Published by

Vijay Vobbilisetty

Vijay is a sophomore majoring in Biomedical Engineering. He will be spending the summer interning at inStem, an autonomous research institute in Bangalore, India. The institute is funded by the Department of Biotechnology and emphasizes collaborative research on stem cell biology. In his project, Vijay will use state-of the-art disease modeling techniques to bridge the gap in our understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying inherited cardiomyopathies by analyzing the effects of certain genetic mutations on the physiology and function of cardiomyocytes, muscle cells that compose heart tissue. After his undergraduate experience, Vijay would like to continue to pursue his interest in cardiovascular research and go on to medical school.

2 thoughts on “Commencement”

1. Hi Vijay! You are likely in transit to India as I write this and I hope you are comfortable (and not in one of the middle-middle seats)! I wish you the very best of luck for the beginning of your journey and I cannot wait to hear more!

2. Vijay I’m so excited for you!! SiSA definitely allows you the opportunity to grow independently, professionally and culturally. I think you are thinking through all the right questions and I’m really looking forward to seeing how they propel you through your time in India 🙂